IPL 2022 Retention Rules: After BCCI announced two new Indian Premier League Franchises Ahmedabad and Lucknow for IPL 2022, there is a lot of confusion about new player retention rules and new auction rules for IPL 2022. But now BCCI has announced officially the new rule of retention.
IPL 2022 Retention Rules: 3 Free Picks for The New Teams and Old Teams can keep Four Players ahead of 2022 Auction
According to the New Retention Rules of IPL 2022, a maximum of four players can be retained by the old IPL teams while the two new franchises have a right to pick three players from the rest of the player pool before the 2022 mega auction. The purse for the 2022 auction is likely to be INR 90 crore (USD 12 million approx), which is slightly more than the INR 85 crore that was available in the 2021 auction.
The IPL clarified these rules in informal discussions this week with the franchises. The three Indians retained by franchises can all be capped, all uncapped, or a mix of both.
The IPL specified a combination of two Indian players and one foreigner with three players moving to two new franchises – Lucknow and Ahmedabad. It is currently unclear whether these players will need to be selected strictly from a group of players not retained by existing franchises before the 2022 auction, or maybe from a larger auction pool – which will contain new additions.
IPL 2022 Retention Policy Update
- 8 existing Teams can retain 4 players ahead of 2022
- Mega Auction 2 New Teams will be able to pick 3 players ahead of the Mega Auction.
- The purse for the IPL 2022 Auction is likely to be INR 90 Crore
- Franchises are concerned that if the new teams are allowed to pick any three players from the auction pool, they will not be able to use RTMs for them.
- Amongst the four, one player must be uncapped.
- A maximum of three Indian players could be retained.
- For foreigners, a maximum of two foreign players can be retained but that will reduce the number of retainers to three including an uncapped player.